Friday, April 6, 2007

For Edwards, Cancer = Cash?

I didn’t think much would make me question the Edwards family these days. I was definitely among those who turned against Katie Couric for her berating of Elizabeth Edwards on “60 Minutes” and of the hyperventilating media that wondered how on earth the candidate could choose to campaign when his wife had cancer. To me, the answer is simple: He and she said so. End of discussion.

But now, I hedge.

The New York Post (I know, I know, but keep reading) has the Edwards camp confirming that they have been collecting email addresses from supporters who have sent Elizabeth get-well notes and using them for fundraising requests.

According to the Post, the link to Edwards’ campaign website invites people to “send a note to Elizabeth and John” and features what The Post calls a “sad letter from the former senator penned just after the couple found out her breast cancer had spread and is now incurable.”

Turns out those people have then been hit up for cash by Team Edwards and, if they provide it, their email is added to the campaign’s online database.

The campaign, contacted by reporters, said they would add an option to allow well-wishers to decline getting future emails.

All together now: Ewwww

No comments: