Monday, February 26, 2007

Horseshoes, hand grenades and, apparently, the Oscars

I was close to perfect. I took my perfecto into the 9th but blew it on one category. Damn you Alan Arkin.

The wife, well, she was perfect. Kudos to her and, apparently to the proprietors of a local Thai restaurant and the makers of the next great chick flick. Heidi killed me again in the Oscar pool, taking seven of seven categories in a clean sweep. Bravo, I say, bravo.

Unfortunately for me, pools are one of those things where almost is close enough.

Of course, we were both sleeping through most of the awards, as predicted. What a ridiculous charade it is to keep that show going so long. I’d love to see the ratings numbers for midnight and after. A joke.

From what I saw, I’d disagree with the conventional wisdom that Ellen didn’t do a good job. I actually laughed out loud at her into monologue (a rarity when watching standup for me). I thought the in-the-crowd with Scorsese and Eastwood was a little lame but the insider jokes were great – this is the ultimate Hollywood insider event … that’s what we expect!

And I loved the Will Farrell, Jack Black, John C. Reilly song – hilarious.

Still, kill about two-thirds of the show, make it two hours and America would be much happier.

No comments: